Authored by Nikhil Aggarwal, Growth PM for Nomad
May 11, 2021
Read Time: 5 mins
TL:DR: The lowest cost way to get a mobile plan in Canada is to combine the Freedom Mobile $99/year plan with data plans from Nomad. If you use 1GB / month, this plan will cost you around $19 CAD / month with all taxes and fees included. You’ll have unlimited talk, unlimited text, and as much data as you would like. This plan is an even better deal than Public Mobile’s $15 / month for 100 minutes plan, as you get unlimited calls, texts, and flexible data at such a low rate.
Over the last few months, the Nomad team has done extensive research on how we can help make mobile plans more accessible and convenient to people all over the world. We started by looking at the countries where our team is based - the U.S. and Canada, and we were shocked by how expensive mobile data is in the U.S. and Canada. Mobile data in the U.S. is almost 80x more expensive than it is in the lowest cost country (India). In Canada, that number skyrockets up to 120x (Source)
We asked ourselves: what’s the cheapest way to get a mobile plan in Canada without compromising on quality or convenience? The goal of this article is to show you the sure-fire method that we have determined is the best way to get a low-cost, mobile phone plan in Canada at a fraction of the cost that consumers traditionally pay. At the current moment, this method is available to anyone who uses the following devices: iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, New iPhone SE, iPhone11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. The Nomad team is working tirelessly to expand our product to Android and web-based platforms so that we can help even more people save hundreds of $$ annually on their mobile plans.
The first thing to do is to determine what your mobile data usage looks like today. Are you always on Wi-Fi because of the pandemic, but still paying for a pricey unlimited plan from Rogers, Bell, or Telus? Do you travel a lot to the U.S., and pay exorbitant roaming fees? Or are you already on a low-cost plan without much data at all? If you match any of these cases, we believe that we have the perfect solution for you. As long as you use less than 10GB of data per month, we have found the lowest cost, flexible solution for Canada mobile phone users.
1. Switch your base phone plan to the Freedom Mobile 99 Plan - it’s only $99 / year and offers unlimited calling and texting. Don’t be afraid of the $15 / GB pricing that they offer - we have the perfect way around that! You can learn more about the plan here, and check out the product directly on Freedom Mobile’s site here.
- You can order your SIM card online, and it’ll get delivered to your home within a few days.
- Make sure to choose the Talk + Text plan option - do not select ANY data with your Freedom Mobile plan.
2. After setting up your Freedom Mobile plan, download the Nomad app immediately from the app store - linked here. After downloading the Nomad app, you can set up an account easily and get ready to purchase your first eSIM. If you want to learn more about eSIMs, and how they help you get connected to mobile data without the hassle of a physical SIM card, check out our blog post here.
3. On Nomad, you can buy a Canada data plan at the following rates (assuming there isn’t a promotion. Right now, we’re running a promotion to get 500MB of data for just $1 USD by using the code TRYNOMAD21 at checkout.
a) 1GB / 30 Days - $9 USD or $10.75 CAD
b) 3GB / 30 Days - $16 USD or $20 CAD
c) 5GB / 30 Days - $24 USD or $30 CAD
d) 10GB / 90 Days - $48 USD or $60 CAD
As you can see, Nomad’s data costs are much lower than any of the primary mobile carriers. Compare Nomad to Public Mobile, Bell, Rogers, Telus, Koodo, etc. here and see how we stack up relative to the competition!
4. After purchasing your Nomad plan, you can set up your eSIM by following the instructions here!
5. Once you’ve installed your eSIM, you can start using mobile data immediately. You’ll be connected to the fastest network for you, based on your location. You can monitor your mobile data usage directly within the Nomad app moving forward, and you’ll never have to worry about overage fees.
That’s it! In just 5 steps, you can save hundreds of $$ on your mobile phone plan in Canada. As the cherry on top, if you ever travel internationally, you can buy a data plan for over 100 countries directly within the Nomad app. You’ll never have to pay for expensive roaming fees, and can avoid roaming fees entirely with this roaming alternative.
If you don’t have an iPhone, drop your email here and let us know that you’re interested in using Nomad when we open up to a platform that’ll support you!
Nomad is an eSIM marketplace that offers high speed, flexible, and no-contract mobile data that won't break the bank. Download our app on iPhone today and get started with a mobile plan as low as $1.