Find the Best Tourist eSIMs for Singapore
Local Singapore tourist eSIMs vs Nomad travel eSIM for Singapore
· 5 min read
Singapore, with its iconic skyline, lush greenery, and vibrant culture, is a must-visit destination for any globetrotter. If you are planning a visit to Singapore, and wondering how you can get a data eSIM for your trip, this blog post will help you find your answer.
Too lazy to read through the article? Here's a TL;DR:
- There are three main telco operators: Singtel, StarHub, and M1. But only Singtel and M1 offer eSIM options for tourist plans in Singapore.
- Or get a travel eSIM from Nomad for more convenience. Skip the hassle of having to submit personal identification documents for verification and activation, and install and activate your eSIM for Singapore even before you fly.
What local tourist eSIMs are available in Singapore?
For starters, let's take a look at the mobile operators that are available in Singapore. The three main operators in Singapore are Singtel, StarHub, and M1. There are also a number of MNVOs that ride on the infrastructure of these three main carriers.
However, of the three main carriers, only Singtel and M1 provide tourist eSIMs. And between the two, Singtel is the bigger operator, and in fact, is known to provide the best network coverage in Singapore.
How much are the local prepaid tourist eSIMs in Singapore?
If you are planning to get a tourist eSIM from Singtel or M1, it is important to note that eSIMs are only offered for selected plans.
- Singtel: Singtel has 3 different plans that also offer eSIMs, priced at SGD12 for 100GB of 4G data for 14 days, SGD30 for 100GB of 5G data for 28 days, or SGD50 for 120GB of 5G data for 28 days. All three plans also include an allowance of roaming data in select countries, making it a good option if you are visiting neighbouring countries during your visit.
- M1: M1 only has one tourist plan that is also available as an eSIM option. It costs SGD12 for 100GB of data for a period of 15 days. However, international roaming is not available for this option.
How to get a tourist eSIM from Singtel
To get a Singtel local prepaid tourist eSIM, you can either get them online in advance, or head to the physical counters at the airport or at Singtel retail shops.
- Online: You can order your tourist eSIM online in advance from the comfort of your home. Skip the queues at the airport after arrival. After placing your order online, you will receive an email containing a verification code and your order confirmation. You will have to download the Singtel hi!App to complete the registration and verification before receiving your QR code for eSIM installation. Note that you will need to submit a copy of your passport and a photo of yourself as part of the verification process.
- Offline: You can also get an eSIM from the physical counters (Changi Recommends / Changi Airport FX Counters / Changi Meet & Greet) at the airport after arrival, or head to one of the retail stores or select conveniences stores (7-eleven or Cheers) in the city center to pick up an eSIM. A similar registration process is required, and you will need to prepare your identity documents to complete the verification process.
It is important to note that the registration of your eSIM is mandatory, but it can only be done after arrival to Singapore. That also means that you will only be able to install your eSIM upon arrival. A stable internet connection is required to complete the registration and installation process. Free WiFi is available at Changi Airport, and we recommend that you complete the registration and installation before leaving the airport.
How to get a tourist eSIM from M1
With M1, you can only get your eSIMs offline. Head to either the counters (Changi Recommends / Changi Airport FX Counters / Changi Meet & Greet) in the airport or the M1 retail shops in the city center to purchase your eSIM. Similar to Singtel, you will need to prepare your identity documents to complete the verification process.
It is important to note that while physical M1 tourist SIM cards are available in select convenience stores (7-eleven or Cheers) island-wide, M1 tourist eSIMs are not sold at the convenience stores.
Nomad's travel eSIMs for Singapore: A more convenient option
Instead of getting a tourist eSIM from Singtel or M1, you can choose to get a travel eSIM for Singapore from Nomad. Getting a Nomad travel eSIM from Singapore brings you added advantages of convenience, while providing good and extensive coverage across the island.
Nomad's travel eSIM for Singapore uses Singtel's networks
Nomad's travel eSIMs for Singapore hooks on to the Singtel network, which provides the most extensive and stable network coverage across Singapore. Don't worry about network instability or a lack of connectivity as you explore the city-state.
Purchase and install your eSIM in the comfort of your homes
Unlike getting a tourist eSIM from a local provider where you have to complete your registration and installation process only after arrival, Nomad's travel eSIMs offer you the option of completing your entire purchase and installation process even before you fly. Purchase your eSIM in advance and you will receive your installation QR code within 10 minutes of successful purchase. You can install and activate your eSIM even before you arrive in Singapore.
You no longer have to worry about completing your registration and installation of your eSIM after arrival!
You don't have to submit personal identification documents for a Nomad travel eSIM
Submission of personal identification documents are required if you purchase a tourist eSIM from any of the local telco providers. Getting a travel eSIM from Nomad doesn't require you to submit any form of identity document - simply create an account with Nomad, purchase your eSIM, and you are good to go!
Don't want to install an app? Do everything on the Nomad Web Store!
Singtel requires you to download the Singtel hi!App to complete your eSIM registration and to manage any top-ups required. On the other hand, with M1, there is no real need to install an app - since registration of your tourist eSIM is done when you purchase your eSIM at the physical counters, and top-ups are not allowed.
Nomad has an app for you to easily manage your eSIMs, purchase data add-ons for your Singapore eSIM, and track the data usage of your Singapore eSIM. However, if you do not want to install an additional app on your device, you have the option to do the same on the Nomad Web Store!
Buy a Nomad Travel eSIM for your next trip to Singapore
Nomad provides a variety of eSIM data plans for Singapore with different data volumes at affordable rates from as low as USD0.98/GB. Nomad also has unlimited plans available, so you don't have to ever worry about running out of data during your trip in Singapore.
It's easy to get a Nomad eSIM. Simply create an account on the Nomad Web Store or iOS/Android apps, find a plan that is suitable for your needs, and proceed with the check out! Upon successful purchase, you will receive an email that includes the installation and activation instructions for your plan.
Note that since you will need a stable internet connection to purchase and install your eSIM, it is advised to buy your eSIM before you fly, so that you don't have to worry about not getting connectivity at the airport after landing.