Can I use one eSIM to travel across different countries?
With a regional travel plan, you can!
· 5 min read
- What are eSIMs?
- Do I need multiple eSIMs if I travel across different countries?
- Getting different eSIMs for different destinations
- Use the same eSIM for multiple countries: Get a regional eSIM for multiple destinations
- So, should I get a regional eSIM or multiple local eSIMs?
- Get a Nomad Regional Travel eSIM for your next trip
Today, traveling to multiple countries in a single trip is getting increasingly common. If you are already travelling cross the globe from the United States to Asia, why not take the chance to explore the region more? Travel eSIMs have also become a very useful resource for travelers to stay connected as they explore the world. And if you will be traveling across multiple countries, you could be wondering if you might need multiple eSIMs throughout your trip.
What are eSIMs?
As a quick introduction for those who are not familiar with what eSIMs are, they are essentially embedded SIMs. They act like your physical SIM card, except there is no physical card. Instead, it is a chip that is provisioned in your device, and to use it, all you need to do is to provision (or install) an eSIM profile.
Advantages of eSIMs in travel
eSIMs have been a convenient resource to help travelers stay connected.
- Flexibility and convenience: eSIMs provide a high level of flexibility, allowing users to switch carriers and plans without the need for a physical SIM card replacement. You no longer have to fumble with your SIM trays, or to queue at a kiosk or store to get your physical SIM cards.
- Easy Activation: eSIMs can be activated remotely, making it a convenient option for users who want to set up a new plan or carrier without visiting a physical store. Unlike the case of getting SIM card from a local network operator, activation of travel eSIMs rarely require you to submit identity documents.
- Ease of Management: With eSIMs, there's no need to carry multiple physical SIM cards. You don't have to worry about possibly losing your SIM cards, or to have to ensure you are using the correct SIM card as you travel across borders. You can easily manage your eSIMs in just a few taps on your device.
Do I need multiple eSIMs if I travel across different countries?
You can get multiple eSIMs if you are traveling across different countries. With the convenience of eSIMs and how it is so easy to switch between eSIM profiles, getting an eSIM for each country you will be visiting is definitely a viable option.
However, if you want to use just one eSIM to travel across multiple destinations, it is definitely possible. Many providers of travel eSIMs also provide regional plans, which provide coverage across multiple countries with just a single eSIM. Instead of using multiple eSIMs, getting a regional eSIM usually provides much more convenience, and can sometimes be more cost-effective.
Getting different eSIMs for different destinations
If you are planning to get different eSIMs for different destinations, this means that you will need to install multiple eSIM profiles on your device.
Most modern devices today allow you to have multiple eSIM profiles installed on your device (the actual number varies from provider to provider). If you already know which countries you will be visiting, we recommend that you purchase and install all your eSIMs before you travel. This way, you don't need to have to worry about having to purchase and install your eSIMs during your trip.
Once you have your eSIMs installed in your device, as you hop between different destinations, simply go to your device settings and choose the eSIM profile that you want to use for that destination. We recommend that you name your eSIMs clearly, so you know which eSIM you should use for each destination.
Use the same eSIM for multiple countries: Get a regional eSIM for multiple destinations
A regional eSIM for multiple destinations is definitely more convenient than if you were to get different eSIMs for different destinations. Using an eSIM with a regional plan means that you can travel between multiple countries in the same region with just a single eSIM — as long as the country that you are in is included in the regional plan.
As you travel across multiple countries, the eSIM will automatically connect to the local network in that country. That means, you only ever have to install and activate your eSIM once, and you never have to worry about having to switch eSIMs during your trip!
So, should I get a regional eSIM or multiple local eSIMs?
There are a few factors that you can consider when deciding if you should get a regional eSIM or multiple local eSIMs:
- Number of countries you are visiting: If you will be visiting many different countries, getting a regional eSIM is likely going to be cheaper, on top of the convenience. However, if you won't be travelling across that many different countries, then multiple local eSIMs could be a possible option. There is no real difference in terms of connectivity, so you can do a simple calculation to find the cheaper option.
- Which countries you are visiting: Remember, regional eSIMs will only work if you are in the countries that are covered by the regional eSIM plan. Different providers have regional eSIMs that provide different coverages, so be sure to check that the countries you will be visiting is included. If they are not included, then you can just need to get multiple local eSIMs instead!
- How certain your travel plans are: If your travel plans are fluid, and the countries that you will be visiting could change, it is recommended that you get a regional travel eSIM instead. As regional plans are not tied to a single country, getting a regional plan will provide you with more flexibility in staying connected as you travel.
Get a Nomad Regional Travel eSIM for your next trip
Nomad provides many different regional travel eSIMs, each covering a different set of countries. Whether you are traveling across Asia, Europe, North America, or even across continents, Nomad has got you covered!
Nomad's regional eSIMs are at affordable rates from as low as USD1.45/GB. Nomad's eSIMs will automatically hook on to the network that provides the best signal strength, so you don't have to worry about the lack of coverage as you travel through the different countries!
It's easy to get a Nomad eSIM. Simply create an account on the Nomad Web Store or iOS/Android apps, find a plan that is suitable for your needs, and proceed with the check out! Upon successful purchase, you will receive an email that includes the installation and activation instructions for your plan.
Note that since you will need a stable internet connection to purchase and install your eSIM, it is advised to buy your eSIM before you fly, so that you don't have to worry about not getting connectivity at the airport after landing.